Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Are You Lost in the World Like Me?




Are You Lost in the World Like Me?

The mad world remix of this video is a must see if you haven't already. This video encompasses a lot of themes present in society today and is composed in a genius way. It tells a all too realistic story of a world where everyone is engrossed with their phone and electronics that they have lost sight of what is around them. It's hard to keep up with the pace of today and I, too often, feel lost. I would describe myself as a very old-school person and think about how much easier it would have been to have grown up in a time where digital technology didn't turn everyone into zombies and control most aspects of life. As a female, going through my early teenage years and emerging into adulthood has been especially challenging with the pressure to look and be perfect on social media and in real life. And this does not just come from other females and the entirely stupid competition we all seem to have with one another, but has contributed to unrealistic beauty standards that a lot of men expect you to fit into. This makes dating into todays digital universe extra challenging, especially in college. These devices have also shaped the way we communicate with one another. No one picks up the phone and calls anymore. And, people definitely don't want to have face to face discussions. This makes things challenging for those that don't shy away from confrontation such as myself. Too many times I have received nasty messages from people that hide behind their keypads, but are unwilling to express how they feel in person. High school was brutal for me in this aspect and the younger generations are just getting worse. I thought I went through the brunt of nasty until I saw my younger sister enter her freshman year. Cyberbullying has been an increasing issue. No wonder the rates of depression among people, especially among teenagers and adolescents, has nearly tripled. These devices that we so desperately cling to have contributed to a society in which everyone hides behind their phone and makes their lives appear better than they really are. Well news flash!- most of the time they aren't. 

In the video, the character observes the world around him and does not like what he sees. People walk around with their eyes glued to their devices, not even acknowledging the world passing around them. It is not only hard to keep up with everything these days, but even harder for people to effectively communicate the way we are supposed to- not behind a screen. Phones and technology were supposed to increase the use of communication, and although it has in some aspects, it has also set us back in a lot of ways. We should not send messages to people in the same room or to those who are sitting directly next to us. Families, as shown in the video, often times have their phones out at the dinner table, ignoring each other over Kim K's latest post or funny dog videos on Facebook. This infuriates me, and is a big reason why they are strictly forbidden in my house when we all sit together for a meal. 

The part of the video that impacted me the most was the portion in which the young girl jumps off the roof to commit suicide and instead of helping her, people video her as she falls to the ground. Also the part where police are beating someone in the street, and pedestrians are doing the same thing instead of stepping in. What has our society come to that we think its okay and justifiable to video tape acts like this and post them to the internet? Social media, especially Twitter and Facebook from what I have personally seen, have become hubs for this source of content. 

This video really resonated with me and made me ask myself some serious questions. Will we continue down this digital apocalyptic road, or will we ever see change for the better? 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DU1B_XkyIk

1 comment:

What I have Learned

What I have Learned...... I found that I was able to use blogger as a way to learn more about the topics we covered in cla...